Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Its a bit nutty!

Over the past weekend I had the chance to visit my favorite Amish food stand to pick up a few things (for some reason they were out of whiskey and condoms). While I was getting ready to check out, a large box of Acorn Squash had caught my eye. I had heard of using it in different recipes but never considered making any myself. So, for 2 for $1.00 I decided to try 'em out.

After roasting them in the oven, I then sauteed the typical soup base of onions, garlic, parsley and celery in some butter. Adding some of the family of "c" spices (cumin, curry and cayenne), then some broth and evaporated milk, I began to work on more and more of the base for my soup. Now I've learned in the past not to add too much curry, otherwise it gets pretty potent. I love curry, however Val doesn't. So lets just say should our jobs be outsourced to India, guess who won't have a problem with the cuisine?

After mashing the squash and adding it to the base I added it to the food processor for a few spins and voila: baby puke! OK, maybe not, but it certainly didn't have the consistency of any non-bodily fluids. Then again, what soup does? The taste was pretty unique. Other than the hint of curry and other spices, it had a bit of a nutty flavor...




Wait, wait, no! I really meant it actually had a nutty flavor. Didn't taste like scientifically-modified-man-of-mystery-poop at all! Anyways, with some almonds to garnish and some olive oil drizzled on top, here's the end result:


So would I make it again? Yup! Would I skip the stupid movie references next time? Nope!

No comments:

Post a Comment